Tuesday, March 18, 2008

We Love Our Pa-Pa!!





The last week has been such a worry for our family. My dad had gone in for a scan last week & all they said was to make an appointment with this surgeon because they found three masses on the scan. Well, of course your mind immediately thinks it could be something very serious. We have been saying a lot of prayers & my kids don't forget to pray for their Pa-Pa even at the dinner time prayer.

Today he went to the surgeon & the mass on his groin is cancer, but a very slow growing one, they think it has been growing for about 10 years & it's the size of a baseball. So he will be having surgery to remove it. Then the tumor on his side isn't cancer, but it also has to be removed with a 2nd incision. My dad's comment to that was now he'll have a scar to match Steve's. You have to love my dad's sense of humor. I am SO grateful it was mostly good news today!! We love you so, so much!!

My kid's also adore him and they made me smile with a few of their comments today....

Libby said, "If something happened to Pa-pa, who would I go camping with? He's the only one I've ever been camping with." ( my kids love their Pa-Pa's motor home "The Minnie-Winnie")

Then she said that she had been worried, but that I was even more worried because he's my dad & then my sweet Zack whispered to me, "I was just as worried as you mom."

I think my dad & Zack have had a special bond since he was a week old. Zack was in the hospital & had to have a spinal tap & I couldn't handle being in the room to watch, so my dad stayed in there with him (since Steve was still in Iraq). I could hear him screaming clear down the hall way & then it didn't work so they had to do it a second time & Pa-Pa stayed with him again!

Then they became 4-wheeling buddies after that! When Zack turned two, Steve & I gave him a sit on 4-wheeler & my parents had stopped by to say Hi & when they left Zack yelled, "thanks for the 4-wheeler, Pa-Pa!" Of course, he thought it was from his grandpa. It was funny!


Pa-Pa Steen & Zack


Tyler is also definitely my dad's little bud!

My dad was over last week for dinner & Tyler had to sit by him at dinner & if anyone talked to him he'd tap his arm to get his attention. Then Zack was sitting on my dad's lap & Tyler noticed & immediately crawled over to get on his lap too! He definitely loves his Pa-Pa!

WE LOVE YOU DAD!!!











3 comments:

Natallee said...

So scary!! Please let us know if we can do anything to help- like watch the kids or anything like that. I am glad that the cancer is slow growing- but scary non the less!! Please keep us posted!

Julie said...

Amber told me about this post...I can't read any of it from my computer. Weird. Anyway...we will pray for your family. I hope everything turns out ok.

PetersonFam said...

Sally, I am so glad your dad is going ot be ok! Your mom and dad are the nicest people! How lucky you are to live so close and be able to share all those experiences with them and your kiddies!
The pics of your kids are darling! Your family is as crazy and fun as mine! hahahahaha!!!
love ya!